Residential Water & Sewer Inspections
Significant changes to the current process for Single Family Residential (SFR) water and sewer service line inspections for 2020.
This change is intended to provide more flexibility to Builders, including how and when the installation and inspection of residential water and sewer service lines takes place to better fit into each homebuilder’s individual construction process.
Effective July 27, 2020 the Builder will have the option to contract a 3rd Party Engineer of their choice to complete SFR water and sewer service line inspections – OR - to have PWSD complete the inspections (consistent with the current process.) PWSD will continue to offer to conduct water and sewer service line inspections through December 31, 2020 – after which it will become mandatory that all water and sewer service line inspections are scheduled by Builders through a 3rd Party, privately contracted engineer.
PWSD has updated the details and specifications related to SFR water and sewer service lines. Any Builder choosing to hire a 3rd Party Engineer prior to the January 1, 2021 deadline will need to meet all new applicable standards/specifications.
Note: If PWSD is completing inspections during the transition period of July 27–December 31, current standards/specifications apply.
This transition period will allow Builders time to incorporate updated standards/specifications, and adjust their construction processes.
Significant changes to Standards and Specifications include the following:
- Cleanouts will be required on all sanitary sewer services;
- A pressure test will be required on all water services – the test will need to be performed at service working pressure OR 50 PSI air test. PWSD approved idler bar (part# FORD IDLER – 2-NL) must be in place for pressure test but will need to be removed prior to meter set;
Here is how the process will work:
- Builder to hire a 3rd party to complete SFR water and sewer service line inspections (this must be a registered PE). The Builder will be responsible to provide 3rd party with correct specifications and details for a standard water or sewer service line inspection or for a PWSD approved variance.
- 3rd party to complete inspection(s) and email submittal packet to dedicated inspection email address at –
- Submittal packet to include:
- Completed SFR water/sewer service line inspection form(s);
- Completed drawing of water/sewer service lines
- PWSD to receive submittal packet(s) on only PASSING inspection(s). ANY failed inspection(s) will be managed between the 3rd party and Builder.
- 3rd party forms and updated specifications will be available online – see links below
- 3rd Party Single Family Residential WATER Service Line Inspection Form – link to form
- 3rd Party Single Family Residential SEWER Service Line Inspection Form – link to form
- Water Details – Link to W1.1 and W1.2
- Sewer Details – Link to S1.1 and S1.2
Questions? Please contact us at (303) 841-4627 Ext 155
1. Applicants seeking variance to standard specifications shall submit request by address with proposed alternative specification & detail to PWSD Engineering Department with plan submittal for review & consideration prior to request for/submittal of inspection by 3rd Party. Additional review fees/timeline apply. If approved, builder is responsible to provide 3rd party inspector with approved alternative specifications & detail to conduct applicable inspection.
2. Project shall have probationary acceptance granted by PWSD Engineering Department, & taps fees for address shall be paid to PWSD Accounting Department, prior to PWSD Field Services Department acceptance of passing inspection packet. Otherwise the inspection shall be rejected by PWSD Field Services Department, & the applicable builder will be notified. Additional fees may apply.
3. Passing water & sewer service line inspection is required prior to request of meter set. A meter set shall not be scheduled prior to PWSD receipt of passing water & sewer service line inspection packet. PWSD requires a minimum of 2 business days after receipt of passing inspection to update project tracking to release address for scheduling of meter set.