Residential Water & Sewer Inspections, Meter Sets
As of Jan. 1, 2021, the new process for Single Family Residential (SFR) home water and sewer line inspections will be conducted through a qualifying 3rd party, State of Colorado registered engineer that has been engaged by the Builder.
This change is intended to provide more flexibility to Builders, including how and when the installation and inspection of residential water and sewer service lines takes place to better fit into each homebuilder’s individual construction process.
Significant changes to Standards and Specifications include the following:
- Cleanouts will be required on all sanitary sewer services;
- A pressure test will be required on all water services – the test will need to be performed at service working pressure OR 50 PSI air test. PWSD-approved idler bar (part# FORD IDLER – 2-NL) must be in place for pressure test but will need to be removed prior to meter set
Here is how the process works:
Tap fees must be paid prior to the acceptance of a passing inspection packet by PWSD Field Services.
Builder to hire a 3rd party to complete SFR water and sewer service line inspections (this must be a registered PE). The Builder will be responsible to provide 3rd party with correct specifications and details for a standard water or sewer service line inspection or for a PWSD approved variance.
- 3rd party to complete inspection(s) and email submittal packet to dedicated inspection team.
- Submittal packet to include:
- Completed SFR water/sewer service line inspection form(s);
- Completed drawing of water/sewer service lines
- PWSD to receive submittal packet(s) on only PASSING inspection(s). ANY failed inspection(s) will be managed between the 3rd party and Builder.
- 3rdparty forms and updated specifications will be available online
- Once tap fees have been paid and PWSD has verified receipt of the passing inspection forms, the address will be released for meter set scheduling (within 2 business days of submission).
Questions? Please contact us at (303) 841-4627 Ext. 155
- Applicants seeking variance to standard specifications shall submit request by address with proposed alternative specification and detail to PWSD Engineering Department with plan submittal for review and consideration prior to request for/submittal of inspection by 3rd Party. Additional review fees/timeline apply. If approved, builder is responsible to provide 3rd party inspector with approved alternative specifications and detail to conduct applicable inspection.
- Project shall have probationary acceptance granted by PWSD Engineering Department, and tap fees for address shall be paid to PWSD Accounting Department, prior to PWSD Field Services Department acceptance of passing inspection packet. Otherwise the inspection shall be rejected by PWSD Field Services Department, and the applicable builder will be notified. Additional fees may apply.
- Passing water and sewer service line inspection is required prior to request of meter set. A meter set shall not be scheduled prior to PWSD receipt of passing water and sewer service line inspection packet. PWSD requires a minimum of 2 business days after receipt of passing inspection to update project tracking to release address for scheduling of meter set.